My wonderful Blogging Friend (or “blend”), Yasmin, has tagged me in the 10 things that make me smile post!
And so, without further adieu, here are 10 things that make Abby smile (normally).
10. C.S. Lewis: I’m obsessed. Ain’t no secret. I’ve read it all and re-read it all. No one can say it like him. And he writes it ALL. Philosophy, Theology, Academic, children’s fiction, science fiction…. and it’s all beautiful! Who else can do that?!
9. The Reformation: I love the reformation and any kind of reformation offspring. Martin Luther, John Calvin, the Puritans, modern Reformers like Boice, Sproul, and Dever, the Westminster Shorter Catechism, and the Trinity Hymnal. The theology that was taught at this time is untouchable. It seriously gives me chills. What a wonderful, Biblical, logical expression of the truths of Scripture. I know when my dad sees this, he will smile and say, “I’ve done well.”
8. The Classics: I have been so blessed to have received the education that I have. It’s amazing to be educated on ancient cultures and realize that we are so much like them. We pull almost every part of our way of life from these people: our language, our government, our architecture, our philosphies… The Classics open a beautiful window of insight into our own culture. It also reminds me that there once were societies that prized bravery, honor, chivalry, and hardwork. On one hand we’re not that different, yet on the other, we have fallen so far.
7. Running: I really don’t think I need to say anything about this one.
6. My Puppies: Dexter and Amos! Amos was my first love…he’s my little bro’s dog and I swear he’s part human. The best part is that he LOVES to sing! It never fails to make me laugh when someone tarts singing or playing the piano and he just joins in. Sometimes it’s annoying because you’re trying to watch TV, but really it’s so cute.
Dex is my baby…I got him about a month after I graduated from college so it was just the two of us before Dave and I got married. He’s so goofy and you can tell he just wants to be loved. He also is the most obedient dog I’ve ever known.
5. My College Roommates: I miss these girls! They were such a strong support for me in college. We had so much fun doing goofy things, and making crazy trips to Mad Mex for half-off margaritas in the middle of the week. In the big picture, we spent such a small time as roommates, but I feel like they are my sisters. And since I’m the only one who stayed in Pittsburgh, I never get to see them! My heart hurts sometime.
4. My Better Half: Stacey has been such a wonderful friend to me! She’s the kind of friend that you can be your goofiest self, cry your eyes out, or scream at the top of your lungs and know that she’ll always, ALWAYS have your back. And just like all my other friends, she moved away. But we have a friendship that can’t be shaken by 3000 miles.
3. My Family: My dad is my head, my mom is my soul, my older brother is my courage, and my little brother is my laughter. These people made me who I am and I thank God everyday for them! We are all so blessed with the wonderful relationships that we have with each other. We might be overwhelming to others, and I admit that we’re all a little crazy, but that’s what makes us us. And, I have an amazing, sweet sister-in-law too! My cup runneth over!
2. My Highschool Sweetheart: He married me, why would he not make me smile? Anyone who can put up with my emotions, absent-mindedness, and MESS has to be the most wonderful person in the world. I’m blessed enough to have not spent much time looking for THE ONE, because I met him during my junior year of highschool. Five years later we were married, and here we are almost 2 years after that…still madly in love!
1. My Salvation: It’s not a part of me, it is WHO I AM. I am not my own, I have been bought with a price–the precious blood of Jesus Christ. I am a child of God, called to be His for no merit of my own. What a gracious God I serve!
“What can separate my soul
From the God who made me whole?
Wrote my name in heaven’s scroll?
I’m passing this along to… Kat, Caitlin, Katie, Jessica, and Pam. Get crackin’ ladies!