Legacy

Written by abbynormally
February 12th, 2010

Thank you all for your sweet comments on my post! I really do have a wonderful family. I often talk to David about the idea of a “legacy”. In both of our families, we have relatives who are so loved and spread joy to everyone they touch, and at the same time we have relatives that can be burdensome and unhappy and seem to excude negative energy. We love them all and have been blessed by them, but it makes us think about what kind of legacy we will leave behind. I want to leave a legacy similar to the ones that I am certain my Grammy and Pappy will leave.

I am finally at the end of “Home” by Marilynne Robinson (still not quite done, hopefully tonight)! It’s funny because the first book that I read by her, “Gilead”, was recommended to me by both of my uncles in Asia, and the story reminded me of them and my Pappy and all the stories they tell of their childhood. However, in “Home” I came across a quote that I thought I would share:

“It is in family that we most often feel the grace of God, His Faithfulness.”

Do you have a family member or a role model that embodies all the characteristics that you wish to have? Has someone in your life left a legacy that has inspired you to better yourself?

Facebook Twitter Email

Categories: Uncategorized

11 Responses to “Legacy”

1. Meghan says:

As the years have passed, I have been lucky enough to notice things in all of my loved ones that I can “take” from them. This is a lovely post.

2. Beautiful post. I don’t have someone like that in my life but I strive to be that someone in my family. Thanks for such a thoughtful post and a good reminder of how important it is.

3. pen says:

You know, all of my grandparents left legacies that I would love to emulate. My grandmother, the first girl in her small town to venture off to college, fought all the way to the US house of reps to get rights and benefits for her workers (she ran the NC school lunch program). She was fearless. I would love to be like her when I grow up.

4. Chrysta says:

Amen girl! I LOVE when you said…”I think that the most significant signs of a truly healthy life are not pants size or resting heart rate, rather lives seasoned with altruism, grace, and love. I am blessed to be a member of a family that is full of people with those qualities.”

That is so true!! What an awesome and amazing idea to live by. I think we sometimes get too wrapped up in the little things. Its an over all well being and balance that helps us maintain and healthy lifestyle. Rock on!! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

• abbynormally says:

It’s so easy for us to get caught up in the materialistic things… we need to be reminded of what really lasts! Thanks for the sweet comment!

5. sophia says:

I can’t pinpoint to just ONE family member. I think they all have their great characteristics…AND faults.
    I want to be strong and wise like my dad.
    I want to be gentle and enduring like my mom.
    I want to be kind and sweet like my brother.

I feel blessed to have such a variety of awesome characteristics in one single family!

6. Kat says:

My mother in law is the person that most comes to mind. My own family has a lot of struggles; I try to be that light that she is in my life, for them.
    Great post.