Zoom, Zoom

Written by abbynormally
March 29th, 2010

Happy Mondayyyyy!

Dave’s out of town and I have a Greek Test tomorrow.

So tonight has been occupied my some of this…

P3290097

A lot of this…

P3290096

And way too much of this…

P3290100

I lead a glamorous life, right?

Once I blog a bit, I’m going to do the prudent thing and take my Greek books and relocate to the bed. I studied in my bed all the time in college and graduated Magna Cum Laude, so I’m hoping that holds true for working adults who thought it would fun to take Biblical Greek 2 years after college.

It’s been tough to fit in studying, and one of the reasons is that it’s a busy time for travel at work!

One of the wonderful things about traveling for work is all of the rental cars I get! My mom went car shopping not too long ago and was calling me for my opinion on the cars that she was test driving. I have some pretty nice cars, and some cars that leave something to be desired.

Top 3 favorite rental cars:
1) Cadillac Sedan (I forget the exact model—but it parked itself!)
2) Lincoln MKX
3) Buick Lucernce (Yea, I know it’s a granny car, but it is the most comfortable car I have ever been in!)

Top 3 least favorite rental cars:
1) PT Cruiser
2) Dodge Avenger (its one giant blind spot!!)
3) Kia Rondo

There are also some notable mentions!

Shortly after beginning my job, my friend/co-worker Shannon and I had a trip to a community college about two hours away. We usually request our rentals through the business office a few days in advance, but somehow our request got lost in the shuffle. When we went to pick it up, the business office had to call the rental company and get whatever they had. Unfortunately, the only thing they had was a 12 passenger van!! I volunteered to drive it, but I had to stop at my apartment to get a pillow to put behind me so that I could reach the pedals! I think Shannon and I laughed the whole way there. I felt well prepared because I learned to drive on minivans and Buicks.

Also, I had a Prius once! I have to be honest and say that I hated the experience. For whatever reason I couldn’t seem to start it it. I would turn the key but nothing would happen, but I did manage to knock it into neutral. If I got it into drive, it was a miracle and I didn’t complain. One time, I was parked near the entrance of a parking lot and on a slight incline. When I tried to start it, I only could move it into neutral and it drifted back and blocked the ENTIRE parking lot. People were honking and I had no idea what to do. I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t cry. Because I did. A lot. And I couldn’t find any “How to Put Your Toyota Prius Into Drive” page in the manual. I have no idea how I got out of there.

Anyhow, even though I’ve driven many cars, I love my Civic! I had a 14 year old Civic in high school and fell in love! When Dave and I were car shopping this summer, it’s the only car I wanted. And it’s a manual transmission and I can’t imagine ever going back to an automatic. I love it!  OH, and I might have learned to drive a stick after we purchased the car ;)

untitled

What kind of car do you drive and what is your dream car? Have you had any rental car drama before?! Please share!!

Believe it or not, mine’s a Civic! I LOVE Hondas and I never want another kind of car (except maybe that Lucerne). Although I’ll probably be rocking a minivan someday. Can I get one with a manual transmission?

GUESS WHAT! New Greenhouse post: Does God Care What We Eat?

Facebook Twitter Email

Categories: Uncategorized

36 Responses to “Zoom, Zoom”

1. We have had Civics for years. I love them! Haha, our least favorite rental car was a PT Cruiser as well, and my most favorite rental car ever was a convertible mini Cooper in Northern California. It was perfect!

2. Dawn says:

I have a Jeep Wranger…my dream car!!!

• abbynormally says:

Nice! My husband has a Jeep.. it has 280,000 miles on it and runs so well! He wants a Wrangler next (in his dreams)… I think he’ll get a Compass!

3. Hahahah I LOVE that last pic of you girl. :) You know I love my Hondas!!!

4. My sister and parents both drive Civics and love them. I have always wanted to try a Prius! I can’t help but chuckle at your experience with it :)

5. JSheids says:

Oh Abby. A minivan?
    I drive a Focus. Dan has a derogatory term for it.
    Dream car? I really want a mini Cooper. And a BIG truck. A Ram 2500 crew cab. Oh and when I’m independently wealthy, I’ll have Shelby Cobra. Electric blue with white racing stripes.

6. Lindsay says:

I drive a PT cruise Convertible. I absolutely love it, it is so much fun to drive in the summer!! My dream car would have to be a Audi A4. I think I am going to get it after I graduate from college!! :)

• abbynormally says:

Ok, that’s pretty cool that it’s a convertible Cruiser.. but the Cruisers I have driven didn’t have Cruse control (??) and I NEED cruise control because most of my travel is on the Turnpike…booooring.

7. Caitlin says:

Abby you are a knock out in that last picture!!! LOVE the dress :)

I have never driven a rental car, isn’t that sad? You know I love Hondas too – we are Honda twins!! Aww.

• abbynormally says:

We should rent a car for the heck of it sometime! I have charmed many an Enterprise into not charging me the “under 25″ fee. No joke. Well.. only 2 Enterprises..but it worked both times!

8. Katie says:

I have a Civic too and love it! It’s getting up there in the mileage and I’ll be so sad when my car dies but I’ll likely get another Honda. It’s been so great! Minimal repairs, great gas mileage, and plus I’m used to it in all sorts of weather.

9. I had a civic for hs and college, and I LOVED it! It was my baby. In fact, when it caught fire after I graduated and I had to sell it to Car Max, I felt like I was putting a pet down. I was sobbing when my husband and I left the dealership. Crazy, huh?

Well, when we get back to the states, we are planning on getting a subaru, and I’m pretty sure that will be my favorite car!

10. Katy says:

I lovvvvve that blue dress. I know that’s not the point of the post, but whatevs. You look hot. :)

11. Morgan says:

I love, love, love my Rav4. I’m a little obsessed with it. I think my husband’s car needs replacing soon, and we are leaning towards the Honda Accord, which I love too. When we went to L.A. this winter we rented a silver Mustang, and it was so much fun!

12. lizzy says:

Hey girlie!! GOODLUCK on your test!!!
    I drive a Scion TC…and LOVEEE it! It’s stick…i prefer manual! I love that it’s little and I can park it anywhere, it’s also great on gas!! I hope your having an excellent tuesday!
    xoxo!

• abbynormally says:

Nice!! My husband was looking into the TC when we were car hunting. But I was being stubborn about a Civic. :)

13. I have a VW Jetta right now and I really like it, it’s been a good car.

In high school I had a 1986 Pontiac Fiero… bright yellow. It was such a fun car, until the day the transmission dropped and I couldn’t get it out of second. The car was very sensitive in the gears too, so I just ran every stop sign on the way to school, parked, went into the school to call my dad and cry about the car breaking!

I have never rented a car! But my husband rents cars frequently on business and he has a whole list of cars he would never consider owning after rental experiences.

• abbynormally says:

BAHAHA that story is ridiculous! Glad you made it to school safely.

I LOOOOOVE Jetta’s! That was the only thing I’d take if we couldn’t get a Civic! We almost bought one too, but then we saw my Dino (I call it Dino because it sounds like a dinosaur in reverse)!

I want to hear some of your husband’s rental stories sometime!

14. Jess says:

I drove a Ford Taurus and I like it except for the fact that I stink at parallel parking it because it’s got a big butt. I’m always afraid I’m going to hit the car behind me. I think Civics are super cute!

• abbynormally says:

OO yea, having learned to drive of mini vans and Buicks, I’m familiar with the feeling. Good news: I’m great at parallel parking my Civic, now!

15. Katharine says:

Civics FTW! I feel the same as you – I love my Civic, and Hondas in general, and will probably be sticking to them for as long as they make ‘em. :)

16. julie says:

I have a 2007 nissan sentra. It’s my dream car!! I’m so not kidding either. When they first came out w/ the redesign I was driving a 2000 ford focus piece of crap and the sentras looked so nice…they are similarly shaped (small), look like mini altimas (which I love) and my BF at the time drove a nissan and I loved everything about it. Once the focus died last year I knew exactly what I wanted! I test drove my exact car and made up my mind :) I love how small and compact it is and it drives like a dream!
    In a perfect world where I am a millionaire, I think I’d still drive my little sentra!

• abbynormally says:

LOL! I was driving behind a Sentra today thinking, “This is Julie’s dream car”. Hey.. go with what you love! Why spend so much on a name?!

17. Melissa says:

minus the stick…my Civic looks exactly the same! That blue color is the best. It’s such a great car!

18. Ashley says:

I looove hondas as well..I have had 2 accords [I lease my cars] and learned how to drive stick shift with my 2nd one..AFTER getting the car, just like you! hehe

• abbynormally says:

That’s the way to do it! The car wasn’t selling BECAUSE it was a stick. I wasn’t going to pass up the ONLY Civic on the lot because I couldn’t drive it. We spent the entire weekend in the school parking lot… arguing. There were lots of arguments :)